So how many hours of sleep should we strive for each day?
Tips to help you get a good night’s rest
- Cell phones and TV OFF! Your brain is not allowed to shut down from external stimuli, thus will not reach its full capacity to reset and heal. It is best to not have a TV in your bedroom, limit the amount of light you have, and turn off / mute your cell phone one hour before bed.
- Hot drink, preferably an herbal tea or lemon water. Having a cup of herbal tea an hour before bed provides you with a calming effect. Certain herbs will also contribute to making you sleepy, including chamomile (which releases an antioxidant called apigenin, which decreases anxiety and stress), lavender, ashwagandha, and cinnamon.
- Lower the temperature in your room. Since your body cools down as you sleep, it is best to set the thermostat a little lower as you prep for sleep.
- Read. Doesn’t matter what you read (as long as it is not an electronic as the blue light decreases melatonin release).
- Practice meditation mindfulness. Did you know that meditation can enhance melatonin levels in your body which helps you fall asleep? Practice gentle breathing and listen to a guided meditation to help you fall asleep.
- Use aromatherapy. A simple answer to get the aromatherapy for a restful night’s sleep is a blend in our Sleep Easy Pillow Mist. Simply mist on your pillow before you lay down and breathe in deeply.