Snow is beautiful, but sometimes it can stick around too long! Check out our 7 tips for beating the winter blues:
1. Turn on the music! Research has shown that listening to upbeat music can significantly improve your mood in both the short and long term. Whether you’re a country fan or love the heavy metal, create a playlist that speaks to you!
2. Help others. When we help others, it can improve our mental health by giving us support and satisfaction.
3. Eat smarter. Did you know that chocolate can help to enhance your mood and relieve anxiety? (In moderation, of course)! However, foods like candy and carbs provide a temporary feeling of euphoria but could ultimately increase feelings of depression and anxiety. Choose green!
4. Bring in the LIGHT! By making your environment brighter, you can improve your mental well being. If you don’t have natural daylight, sitting next to artificial light (lightbox) for even 30 minutes per day can be as effective as an antidepressant.
5. Move your body. Exercise is one of the most powerful ways to treat and beat depression. Moving is going to improve your mood. Hard to think about rolling out of bed at 6 am to work out? Enlist the help of a friend. Move your body at a time that works for you. Added bonus for getting outside. The fresh air helps to lift the spirits. Just be sure to bundle up!
6. Vitamin D to the rescue. Get your Vitamin D levels checked to determine if you are deficient, and if so, to make sure you take the right dose.
7. Aromatherapy and essential oils. Tried and true, time and time again, to help improve mood and reduce anxiety. Oils such as lavender, patchouli, ylang ylang, roman chamomile and rose are good choices to get started. Even better, we’ve created a Beat the Winter Blues Set that has all of the products you need for the winter season.